[Recap] KissAsian Weekly Roundup – July Week 4
All the important Korean Entertainment news from this week in one place: This is your Weekly Soompi Roundup!
- Director Kim Jong Hak‘s death has been ruled as suicide by the authorities. He was the director of classic dramas such as “Sandglass,” “Eyes of Dawn,” and “The Legend.” His most recent drama was “Faith.”
- Se7en, Sanchu, and five other celebrity soldiers have been sentences to ten days or less in military jail. Enter obligatory “happy ending” joke here.
- The FTC ordered SM and the FFPCAI to stop interfering with JYJ and C-JeS which leads me to believe that Korea has an unhealthy obsession with acronyms.
- The legal battles for Park Shi Hoo are completely over, just like our interest in this scandal.
In the SNS world…
- Haha and Byul reveal the first photos of their son! Or a photo of a certain part of his body anyway.
- Some of the handsome men of JYP had a gentleman’s night out.
- Kara took a break and had some fun in the tub.
- Don’t forget to check out our collection of K-Pop Instagram photos.
Next…Who won the best music video poll between B.A.P, Infinite, and BEAST?
The music video of the week goes to Lee Jung Hyun for her fun and creepy music video directed by Park Chan Wook. Lee Jung Hyun is 33 years old! How does she not age?
Other notable music videos:
- f(x) – “Rum Pum Pum“
- AA – “Midnight Taxi“
- Tahiti – “Love Sick“
- Koyote – “Hollywood“
- Outsider feat. G.O. – “Bye U“
Last week we asked you to vote which boy band comeback music video you liked the most and here are the results! It was a close one!
- Also in music news, news magazine “The Atlantic” compares the Backstreet Boys to Shinhwa.
- One Direction sort of featured B.A.P in their music video, but B.A.P fans were not happy and expressed their rage against the British boy band. Meanwhile EXO fans warily sniffed the air, and then resumed “growling.”
- Supreme Team is no more but you can still listen to their greatest hits.
- A lot of big names were nominated for the World Music Awards.
- SPICA did one of the best covers of “Cups” I’ve seen with their Korean plus rap rendition.
- The Fine Bros. showed some popular Youtubers K-Pop videos and shared their reactions.
Next…Some real life drama for the drama “I Hear Your Voice”
“Answer Me 1994” held their first script reading, and actress Go Ara took her job very seriously with her outfit straight from the 90s.
MBC has forgiven Joo Ji Hoon, and now the actor is currently looking into a medical drama with SHINee‘s Minho.
In variety news…
- IU apologized to Lee Jong Suk on “Hwashin” for her over-enthusiasm.
- Sung Yuri will replace Han Hye Jin on “Healing Camp.“
- No surprise here, Lee Seung Gi was voted as “#1 Husband Material.”
Shin Min Ah is the first Korean to grace the cover of “Allure Korea,” which is a surprise only because you would think a Korean magazine would have had a Korean cover before.
Taecyeon and Kim Jae Wook are all “smolder smolder smolder” for “Singles.”